Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A most humbling experience...

I understand now Mom and Dad...

- The nights you picked me up and carried me tenderly all around the house while I burned with a fever or a toothache.

- The times you tucked me into bed and were there when I screamed during a particular nightmare.

- The reasons why you stressed on me being a good and disciplined child.

- Why you made me brush my teeth well, rinse out my mouth when I uttered something bad and comb my hair a 100 times.

- Why you made me stand in the corner, confined me to a room, took away my chocolates / books and toys when I did something bad.

- Why you appreciated me when I did something good and chided me when I did something bad.

- Why you didn't bend to my every whim and fancy and demand.

- And all the birthdays and festivals when you bought me gifts and sacrificed some of your own.

- Why you sent me to the best schools and persisted that education is all important.

- Why you didn't like some of my friends and loved the others.

- Why you insisted I arrive early but never be late.

- Why you taught me all my good-morning's and good evening's.

- Why you sent me to Sunday School and pray every night.

- Why you insisted that I love my neighbour and forgive my enemy.

- Why I concentrate on my education and not boys.

- Why I give love rather than go ardently finding it.

- Why you still stood by me and supported me even though I went from one screw-up into other.

- And why your love has only grown and never diminished over the years.

I love you Mom and Dad. And as I prepare to be a parent myself... I just hope that I can do half as good a job as you have done.

No comments: