Monday, December 04, 2006

Retro.

Finished breakfast listening and humming to Kim Wilde's 'You came'.

Anyone remember Kim Wilde... I do. She did top the charts... way back. And then poof... oblivion. Wonder where she is today.

You came is a song I associate with my last year in school. 10th grade to be precise. For me songs categorise a certain period or phase in my life. Whenever I listen to these songs I reminisce about those times.


- Ma Baker and Sunny: I guess for me BoneyM is what initiated me into listening to music. My 3rd grade and my sista and I would blast the 'tape' on our Dad's 'two in one'. Literally grew up with BoneyM.

- Clementine, Do re me, I am sixteen, Songs from 'King and I' and 'Fiddler on the roof': Singing lessons in school. 12 year olds exercising their lungs to the strains of Ms. Patel belting her music out on the antiquated piano which had seen better times.

- That's the way A-ha: The nuns used to play LP records to pep up sleepy eyes just before morning assembly. It sure did spring us all up.

- High School: Sending all my love, Sealed with a kiss, Buffalo Soldier, All from NKOTB, Shoulder to cry on, Locomotion, Donna Summers and Chaka Khan.

- Early College Days: It must have been love, Hotel California, Smells like Teen Spirit, Hole Hearted, Doors, Two Steps behind, Rock you like a Hurricane...

- Late College: The pub culture creeps in. My skirts get shorter and my ways wilder. We party all night and cram equally hard. Cotton Eye Joe, Illusion, Barbie Girl, Tribal Dance, Dr. Alban...

- Early Xebec days: First days with writehanddrive and we exchange music... Don Williams, Crush, Life...

- Working days begin and music takes a backseat as chasing artworks and massaging ego's takes precedence. Still find time for Green Day and Tull.


- But I guess the most memorable song for me is Crusin': A cold winter day. It's pouring cats and dogs. Mr. G and I are in the backseat of a Santro. The car's vipers are having a tuff time keeping up to the mini deluge. Slowly Mr. G takes my hand and as Gwyneth Paltrow and Huey Lewis sing...

Baby let's cruise, away from here
Don't be confused the way is clear
And if you want it you got it forever
This is not a one night stand
So let the music take your mind
Just release and you will find

You're gonna fly away, glad you'll go my way
I love it when we're cruisin together
Music is played for love, cruisin is made for love
Well I love it when we're cruisin together

Music is played for love, cruisin is made for love
Well I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it
Woah oh

Well I love it when we're cruisin together


And I knew I was home!

No comments: